Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Windows Explorer --- Grrr

Okay, I try not to say anything bad about software that a lot of work has gone into, because, well, I know how hard it is to get it right.

But yesterday I needed to fix a problem on out Team Foundation Server. I needed to get my hands on an executable called TF.EXE. It wasn't (for whatever reason) on my TFS server. Fine, it was supposed to be on my machine (since I have just about every freaking product known to man on my machine it seems). I tried to save myself time by doing a search from my Vista File Explorer (or whatever it is officially called these days). Nothing came back. I hunted around a little bit, searched the web a little bit, and finally just gave up and worked around my problem.

This morning, while fighting another MS-Test - tests not executed issue (if I get one more of these freaking things, I'm going back to NUnit), I stumbled across my C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE directory, and lo and behold, there's TF.exe.

So can someone tell me why the hell File Explorer couldn't find it for me yesterday and save me a hour of my time? Why even bother putting the freaking search tool there if it doesn't work? Anyone? Is there a trick to making it search the whole drive? Arrrgggh.

What a great way to start the day!

No comments: