Friday, August 22, 2008

Autocomplete Extender Lesson Learned, Part Two

It turns out that the problems with the AutocompleteExtender actually go even deeper than the dispose problem. Or not as deep, depending on how you think about it. At some point in my effort to make my website pretty, the problem of the extender not extending after a partial postback reappeared. After spending a large, large amount of time on this, I found reference to another bug in the AJAXControlToolKit that happens if you programmatically set the focus back to the textbox associated with the extender control after doing a postback (partial or not).

I removed the set focus statement, and I am back in business. Again.

But dude, seriously?

2 comments:

Pica said...

Hey. fri..
I got the same problem. The Autocomplete Extender doesn't work after postback.

I don't know where to change. If you can, can you please share your modified DLL for AjaxControlToolkit or how to do step by step instructions. Thank a lot.

JB said...

I think all I did was to make sure the focus wasn't set back to the textbox. Unfortunately, it's been a really long time since I've worked with the AJAX Tool Kit. I'm pretty sure I didn't make any changes to the dll itself. We did a big rewrite of that site shortly after this blog entry was done, so I don't even think that code is still on that particular page.


Sorry.