Monday, July 14, 2008

VS2008 Printing Issue

Today, I wanted to print a DBML Document from VS2008. The fact that I've been using VS2008 for 6 months now, and haven't run into this shows how much printing I actually do.

Anyway, I tried to print, and I kept getting an Error 'No Default Printer Istalled', which is bizarre, since I do have a default printer installed. What it really meant was the ID I was running as (admin), had no default printer installed. Even though I am an admin on my box, the admin user itself had to have a default printer set up.

Of course, I don't have the Admin user ID and password for my machine (I've never needed it in the past), so I had to recruit one of our tech support guys to fix this. After setting up the printer, and then switching back over to my id, everything was, whoa... still didn't work. Huh? Switch back over to the admin ID, test the printer. It works. Switch back over, restart VS2008, still nothing.

Close everything, log out, log back on, openup VS2008. Print. Ta-da!

Hoep this helps save someone half an hour.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have similar issues but not luck :-(

I can't print anything with VS2008 if I start as "administrator".
And I need that to web developping

No error codes, simply Printer don't start.

If I click "Property Pages" o "Preliminar View" nothing happens

:-(

JB said...

Did you repeat the steps above, including setting up the default printer for the admin user, then logging out?

JB said...

Did you repeat the steps above, including setting up the default printer for the admin user, then logging out?